People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world your best and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It never was between you and them anyway.
-Mother Teresa

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Oh Regan....

It was a day like any other. The girls being their usual crazy selves. I was getting ready for a girls night out and taking my girls to a babysitter (insert choir music). Sophie fell asleep on the couch, and Regan was just occupying herself with her vivid imagination and telling me all about this party she is going to. "Yeah, ok, that sounds good honey." I'd heard this party gab before. I continue to get ready and don't really recognize that it is kind of quiet....you know....too quiet. (insert creepy, butt-clenching, white-knuckled suspense music here) As I'm putting my make-up on, you know where your face is about two inches from the mirror and you have this weird open mouth thing going on (what's up with that anyway), Regan starts her rambling, about going to her party, and she's going to be late, her imaginary friend, Bill the Rainbow Guy, is going to be there, yadda, yadda, yadda, you have to have short hair to go the party........ What was that last part? I may not have caught all of what she was saying, but I did catch that much. My mouth snapped shut, my head whipped around, and all sorts of images and thoughts go whizzing through my mind. It only took about 3 seconds to figure out that she really had done what thousands of other kids have done before her. She had cut her hair. The shortest piece being above her ear. "WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO?!?!?!", I said in a slightly raised tone;) "Mama, you have to have short hair to go to my party, and itsonlyapartyformamasandbiggirlsnamedreganandnotlittlegirlsnamedsophiesso I need to cut your hair too. She was talking fast, probably knowing that I would interupt her if she let so much as a millisecond of time lapse between words. She said all this calmly and matter-of-factly. How was I to argue with her logic and imagination. What's done is done. I heaved a great big sigh and called my hair-cutting neighbor upstairs to see if she could do an emergency repair job. She wasn't home and I realized that I only had 45 minutes til I needed to leave so I made a mad dash to change my nice clothes for grubby ones, grabbed the scissors and tried to come up with a solution to this chop job before me. Not being a stylist, it was a difficult task. Regan kept wiggling and complaining because she was itching from the hair. She kept wondering why I was cutting her hair. Can I just have a hosanna shout that Sophie was taking a rare nap!! Otherwise her beautiful curls would be gone too.

My once pretty girl with long hair......
My now pretty girl with short hair.....


Tomorrow is her first day of preschool. I'm excited for her to go. She loves to learn. I just wonder how she'll do the first day. Going to primary today she was, I think, pretty embarrassed about her hair and wouldn't go in for about a half hour. Thus the lack of decent pics to show her hair. What's done is done. Her hair grows pretty fast. BTW, that tomato she's holding is from my garden. It was big, around the size of a softball.

13 comments:

Dallas said...

What a sweet girl! She did great in Primary after you left as well. She has very good sweet new teachers as well. She is still a doll!

Living Lavallee said...

Oh, how devastating. But, every kid seems to do it (mine have). Hopefully she'll learn her lesson from the embarrassment. It will be funny(er) down the road.

Skousen Seven said...

There certainly isn't a dull moment in your household!!! She still looks way cute and loveable:) Can't wait to see you next month!
Give the girls a big hug from Aunt Wendy!

AmberS said...

What a story! Wow! I'm proud of your reaction...Mine might have not been so calm - good job!

Dawna Greer said...

The best part of all this is that1) you didn't totally lose your cool over it and 2) that you recorded it for posterity! What an imagination she has! The pictures are adorable and thankfully her hair will grow. She looks just as cute and sweet as ever!

Shawn said...

You did a great job on the cut..looks like a stylist did a sweet pixie cut!

Catherine said...

Oh. my. goodness. These girls are quicker than snot at getting into mischief, Kristal! Really, I think that it's that they're both so smart and curious that they can't help make mama CRAZY! It's a good thing they're so stinkin gorgeous and have the most lovable personalities that you can't help but love them.

PS) I am so lucky that Sophie is in my class. Her first day of school pictures are the best!

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

hahah I am still cracking up over it! I do have to say thought that you did a good job at cutting it and getting it to be even. That is hard if you haven't done anything like that before.
I agree too...this will be a funny tale to tell in years to come:))
Love that girl:)

Anonymous said...

Haha...Sorry I know it's not funny but it is! Danika did that too. Only she cut her bangs pretty close to the scalp. Her hair does not grow fast at all. So it's still looks the way it did when she cut it. When I asked where the sissors were that she used, I got "I don't want to tell you cause I don't want to get in trouble." I had to laugh. I asked her again where they were she threw her hands up and simply replied "oops they must be lost"

ADAMS FAMILY said...

I am shocked...(knock on wood) being a hairstylist and having scissors right in the kitchen my girls have not done this. It is really cute short, but I can understand your dissappointment... and how come any time you have something fun planned do things like this happen, never fails. Hopefully you still got to go out and destress! Your girls are adorable and I love your post, they always bring a smile to my face!

Healthful Living said...

All little girls do it. I did. Why? I guess just an imagination coupled with no adult inhibitions. So fun to read about your cute little girls. Wish we could see you over Christmas but we probably won't be home until the end of Jan. We've passed thru some of Chile (Darren's mission stuff), we'll be in Peru for about 3 months volunteering then we're flying into Santiago to see more mission pepes. Then down to southern Chile, then home. Hopefully we can get together sometime after our return. :)

LisaJ said...

This just happened at our house a few weeks ago....except we have twins. Kate cut her own hair and then decided to cut her sister's hair as well.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Hey thanks for stopping by! I am really one of your favorites? Wow there is a lot of talent out there I am flattered. Every little girl cuts there hair it seems. Mine is only 20 months but I will freak the day she cuts off her curls too.